And to think just last month I was beachside soaking in the beauty of the Yucutan peninsula. It’s back to reality for me and that means back to winter here in rainy Vancouver.
I don’t know about you but when it comes to this time of year I crave warm, hearty, classic comfort meals. I enjoy this dish so much – it is healthy, easy and FULL of flavor. I like to make a big batch of this stew, store half of it in the freezer and enjoy the rest as easy weeknight dinners.
This was the first time I tried it with Spread’Em cashew dip as an extra treat and man was it a game changer!!! If you’re not familiar with this product I would highly suggest checking out the company here as they are the purveyors of some of the best plant-based cheeses I’ve ever tried. At the summer markets it was my favorite booth to stop by because each week they had a new “experimental” flavor to try out. And they were ALWAYS delicious. The good news for you is that Kiki’s Grocery Delivery carries a variety of the Spread’Em dips and cheeses, as well as everything featured in this recipe. Simplify your grocery shopping and make your healthful New Years resolutions easier to stick to by checking them out at https://www.kikis.ca.
If you try this recipe, please let me know what you think & don’t forget to tell your friends to follow @forest_and_fig on Instagram for the most recent plant-based recipes and holistic living tips.
Wishing you all peace & so much love this new year!
- 3 cups squash (I’ve used butternut, acorn and kabocha squash for this recipe and they have all turned out really nicely), cubed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups lacinato kale, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a soup pot, over medium heat add the olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook for 5-7 minutes until translucent. Add squash, cumin, coriander, curry powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes until rice is cooked and squash is tender. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- Remove from heat and stir in kale.
- Transfer to your favorite bowl, top with a dollop of Spread Em chive & garlic cashew spread and enjoy!