Recently I’ve come to realization that the best way to satisfy a sandwich craving is in your own kitchen. This vegan BLT has all of the best elements of a proper deli-made sandwich – fresh bread, crispy, smoky coconut bacon, thick slices of tomato and a spicy cashew spread.
I’ve been spending many afternoons toying around with different faux bacon recipes – I just love the salty, smoky, crispiness it can add to dishes. The recipe I’m sharing today is the one I enjoyed the most. I’ve adapted some elements from a recipe on the Yumsome blog to use coconut chunks instead of carrots. It makes for a crunchier and crispy addition to not only sandwiches but salads and soups too. I also added a splash more maple syrup because the smoky sweet flavour combo really gets my tastebuds going.
Makes 4 sandwiches
For the sandwich:
- 1 package tempeh, sliced evenly into 4 steaks
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 4 tablespoons Spread ‘Em jalapeno lemon cashew spread (or substitute vegan mayo)
- 2 tomatos, sliced
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cup sunflower shoots, or sprouts of any kind
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon tamari
For the coconut bacon:
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut ribbons
- 1 heaping tablespoon of tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke ( i used hickory flavour)
- 2 tablespoons warm water to thin
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Either blend or whisk together marinade ingredients. Toss the coconut ribbons in the marinade until well coated and set aside for 30 minutes to allow the coconut to soak up all the delicious flavours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and evenly spread out the marinated coconut into a thin layer.
- Transfer to oven to bake for 8-10 minutes until crispy. Keep a close eye because these babies burn fast. When the bacon is ready, remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add tempeh steaks along with 2 tablespoons tamari. Grill on each side for 3-5 minutes until fully cooked.
- To build your sandwich, spread 1 tablespoon of cashew dip or mayo onto a slice of bread. Top with tempeh, tomato, sprouts and coconut bacon. On the top slice of bread mash half of an avocado with a fork. Stack on top of sandwich & enjoy!!